The companies who have run or had an interest in Pilmuir Works.
David Inglis and Sons
It is not clear whether this firm had any direct connection with Pilmuir. However, one of its partners, David Gavin Scott, would appear to have unsuccessfully experimented with steam power at Pilmuir in 1847.
Andrew Reid & Co.
Founded by brothers, Andrew Reid (b.1805) and Henry Reid (b.1808), they established their business on the site in 1849 and are credited as having successfully introduced steam power to the site, the first in Dunfermline to do so. Henry Reid subsequently left in 1860 to set up Abbey Gardens Works
Hay & Robertson
The 1914 Who’s Who in Business describes Hay and Robertson as follows.
HAY & ROBERTSON, Ltd., Linen and Cotton Damask Manufacturers and Embroiderers, St. Margaret’s Works, Foundry Street, Dunfermline, Fife. Hours of Business: 8.30 a.m. to 5.30 p.m. Established in 1862, by Robert Hay and William Robertson. Succeeded by Robert Robertson, Robert Robertson (jun.), Sir William Robertson, Robert Hay Robertson, and John Whyte Robertson. Incorporated as a private Limited Company in 1910. Directors: Sir William Robertson (Managing Director and Chairman), Robert Hay Robertson, John Whyte Robertson, W. B. Robertson. Premises: Seven acres. Staff 1300. Branches: Caledonia Works. Dunfermline. Agencies in London, Manchester, Glasgow, Belfast, New York, Toronto, Adelaide and South Africa. Specialities: Damask Manufacture, Hem Stitching and Fancy Sewing and Embroidering. Connection: United Kingdom, Foreign, Colonial. Telephones: Nos. 261 and 262 Private Exchange, Dunfermline. Telegraphic Address: ” Hay, Dunfermline.” Codes: Western Union, A B C, and Lieber’s. Bankers: Royal Bank of Scotland, Ltd. Sir William Robertson is Hon. Sheriff and a Justice of the Peace, Vice-Chairman of the Carnegie Dunfermline Trust.
In 1925, their Caledonia Works were destroyed by fire. The following year, they successfully acquired Pilmuir Works from Andrew Reid & Co. They already owned the adjacent St. Margaret’s Works and they built the bridge over Foundry Street to link their two premises. This was known locally as ‘The Bridge of Sighs’.
Dunlop / Duracord
Dunlop acquired Pilmuir Works in 1947, who who used it to produce cotton tyre cord. They subsequently sold it to Duracord, who produced a synthetic product for the same purpose.
Duracord into receivership in 2005, leading to the closure of Pilmuir Works.