There are a number of key individuals associated with the Pilmuir Works site. These are just some of them.
David Gavin Scott (1811-1863)
As yet not properly confirmed but the following seems likely.
A Mr. G. Scott had the site in 1847 and may have been the first to use power looms, though his business failed. One account dates this as 1816.
David G. Scott, Dunfermline, was subject to a Sequestration Petition in the Court of Session in 1848, and is probably one and the same as David Gavin Scott, power loom manufacturer, Dunfermline, who bankruptcy appeared in the London Gazette in 1848.
David Gavin Scott seems to also have been in partnership with William and David Inglis as David Inglis and Sons of Dunfermline, linen manufacturers and merchants and with with William Inglis as Inglis and Scott of New York, merchants. Both partnerships were dissolved in 1845. He would also appear to have business interests in New Jersey.
The Mechanic’s Magazine, Museum, Register, Journal and Gazette, Volume 43 (1845) lists, under ‘List of Patents Granted for Scotland’:
David Gavin Scott, of Cromwell-park, Perth, for an invention by which the heddles of a loom are moved to produce various patterns on woven fabrics. (Being a communication from abroad.) July 4.
Andrew Reid (b.1805) and Henry Reid (b.1808)
Brothers, they established their business on the site in 1849 and are credited as having successfully introduced steam power to the site, the first in Dunfermline to do so. Henry Reid subsequently left in 1860 to set up Abbey Gardens Works. The business at Pilmuir continued as Andrew Reid & Co.
George Reid (c.1840-1910)
Partner in Andrew Reid & Co., George Reid was an avid collector of rare books and mediaeval manuscripts. In later life, a large part of this collection, consisting mostly of illuminated manuscripts, was given to the Victoria and Albert Museum./ His books were donated, via the Carnegie Trust, to Dunfermline Central Library.
Thomas Hyslop Ure (1863-1913)
Born and based in Dunfermline, Ure was the architect employed by Andrew Reid & Co. and responsible for the 1883-1901 buildings fronting Pilmuir Street and possibly the curved southern range as well.
Robert Hay (1818-1864) and William Robertson (c.1823- )
Founding partners of Hay & Robertson Ltd. (estd. 1862), who went on to acquired the Pilmuir site in 1926, following a fire at its Caledonia Works factory the year before.
Sir William Robertson (1856-1923)
Heir to the above William Robertson, he was an original Trustee in establishing the Carnegie Dunfermline Trust. He was appointed Lord-Lieutenant of Fife by David Lloyd George in 1917. His country home was at Mugdrum, near Newburgh.
It is still unclear who the partners in Hay & Robertson Ltd. were at the time Pilmuir Works were acquired.